Sunday, November 28, 2010

#108 See a Broadway Play

Friday night my beautiful wife and I, accompanied by a couple friends, went to the Regina Globe Theatre’s production of Honk, the Musical Tale of the Ugly Duckling. This is the second year that we have invested in season tickets to The Globe and we have been enjoying the quality of theatre available in our city.

I have something to admit, I love live theatre and live musicals. We have seen The Phantom of the Opera twice and loved it both times. These facts have lead me to put #108 See a Broadway Show on my list. Alternatively, to see a show in London would be equally enjoyable to me. My wife and I almost did this a few years ago while in London but a combination of scheduling (or lack of), inability to pick the show we wanted to see, and concerns over our budget lead us to not seeing a show.

Of course I regret this now but can’t do anything about it. One of the new pacts that I have made in my life is that I refuse to not do the things that I want to do. From this point on, if I have the opportunity to do something I want to do, and it is logical to take that opportunity, I will take it. After all, isn’t that the way we should all live our lives?

A couple of quick updates on some of the other items on my list:

I have a great love of photography but the last couple of years, especially during my time when I returned to university, I kind of let my photography hobby do by the wayside. I miss picking up my camera and having the chance to be creative and so I came up with #121 Take at least one photo a day every day for a year. I started my way towards my goal on Thursday and I am happy to say that it has not only forced me to pick up my camera every day (I will be posting pictures soon). Today I went for a walk and snapped happily away. I am at my mother-in-law and father-in law’s farm in rural Saskatchewan at the moment and although it is a bit of a frosty morning, I was able to stay out for over half-an-hour and took over 60 pictures. It is exactly what I enjoy doing and would probably have not done it if I had not made this a goal.

Another goal I have made is to work on my creative writing and write at least 1,000 words every week (#124). This week I have so far written almost 700 words (and will spend part of the rest of the day to make sure I achieve 1,000 words) on a short story that I have been working our in my head and on paper for a couple of months if not more. Once the story is complete, I plan on entering it into a writing competition and starting on my next project.

These long term goals are stepping stones to help me accomplish my bigger goals like #5 have a book published, #6 Have a photo in National Geographic, and #25 and #26 winning contests in writing and photography. I truly believe that by taking these small constant steps I can not only create good habits of accomplishing work I enjoy but I can also accomplish bigger goals.

I am off to do some writing, need to get this done before the Grey Cup kicks off this evening. Go Riders!

No comments:

Post a Comment